Saturday, October 11, 2008

Working Saturday


Today Roger and I worked on the garden a little bit. Roger planted the rest of the "monkey grass" - not quite enough, we'll go to the nursery (Broadwell's) on Monday to get some more. We made some starts of the verbena - we have one flat started and a few small pots. We used the light purple verbena, but I also want to start a flat or two of the dark purple. We need quite a bit since we want to use as little mulch as possible. Neither one of us really like the mulch and would rather that we use a nice thick ground cover. The verbena is beautiful and smells soooo good!

When I went inside to make dinner, Roger pulled a huge section of zinnia out of the ground. It was looking rather scraggly, and since it's October we thought it was time to come out. How different the front looks without my beautiful zinnia! They are such cheerful bloomers. But we'll have them back again next year.

Tonight I'm going to finish a knitting project I had started a few weeks ago. It's a scarf made from brown wool that I purchased from Humbug Farms, here in Holly Springs. Basically it's knitted in stockinette stitch, about 8-9 feet long, then gathered in the middle to 6 ft. Then washed in hot water and dried, then blocked. The result is a gathered, felted scarf that looks like a ruffle. If it turns out well, I'll post a photo.


Here is a picture of the last of the bell peppers. I think they are so pretty! (Obviously, I'm still learning how to post pictures, I think I'll get it right next time!)




No comments: